Archivio blog

martedì 26 maggio 2020

TASK PER INSEGNARE PRAGMATICA role-play

You completely forget a crucial meeting with the distinguished professor
with whom you are doing an internship. An hour later you call him to
apologize. The problem is that this is the second time you’ve forgotten
such a meeting with your professor.

Professor: What happened to you?
You:
Professor: I can imagine that you have a lot on your mind these days, but
this is the second time you’ve missed a meeting you agreed to attend.
You:
Professor: Yes, indeed. I hope you won’t forget it next time.
You:
Professor: I’m afraid I can’t reschedule it for today. Let’s try again next
week at the same time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are attending a seminar. It is a very sunny day and the classroom is hot. The professor is
standing near the window. You ask him to open it.
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your boss tells you that someone spent the night in the office. You
cannot help him, because you do not know who it was but later your
colleague tells you that it was Andrea, so you go back to the office and
tell your boss?’
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
During dinner with a friend’s family in the host community you accidentally spill your glass of red wine on the table cloth.  
You:Friend’s mother: Oh, dear!  
 You:Friend’s mother: No, no. Don’t worry about it. You don’t have to do that. The stain will probably come out in the wash.  
You

...........................................................................................

At the professor’s office A student has borrowed a book from her teacher, which she promised to return to-day. When meeting her teacher, however, she realizes that she forgot to bring it along. Teacher: Miriam, I hope you brought the book I lent you. Miriam: ___Teacher: OK, but please remember it next week

----------------------------------------------------------

 Situations Speaker Hearer Request Situation 
1 A human resources manager An applicant Come again next week for a second interview Situation 
2 A manager in a factory A worker Work overtime Situation
 3 An employee in a restaurant A customer Move to another table Situation
 4 A college student A professor Extend deadline for a project 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[I know that you came from an-other city but to clarify my decision about you I need to see you again next week]. Durum: [situation] ___________________________

----------------------------------------------

[There is inspection tomorrow. Could you work overtime today for cleaning?] 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Sir/madam, I deeply apologize. The technical team needs to work here immediately. Could we move you to another table?] 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

[I know that today is the deadline for project submission, but I could not finish it. Could you excuse me two more days?] Durum: [situation] ___________________________________________________ ____________________________

 -------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Scenario 1:You have just finished presenting your research paper. At the end of the class (when you were just leaving the classroom), one of your classmates say: “You did an excellent job! I really enjoyed your presentation”. You answer: _____ 

 Scenario 2:You have some friends and relatives over for coffee and cake that you baked. Someone says: “Tastes Yummy!You answer: _____

 Scenario 3:You were shopping for a skirt and stranger (male) approachesyou and says: “This would look amazing on you!” You answer

 Scenario 4:You were shopping for a skirt and stranger (female) approachesyou and says: “This would look amazing on you!” You answer

 Scenario 5:Some friends are over at your house. One of them looks at a clock hanging on the wall and says: “I love your clock. It looks great in your living room!You answer:

 Scenario 6:You’re wearing a new shirt and a colleague looks at you and says: “This shirt looks great on you! Blue is a great color for you.” You answer: _

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
xxxxxx  Situation You meet a lecturer whom you are not very close with in a bookstore. He/she is going to buy an expensive book about Research Methods. Nevertheless, you have seen the cheap one in another bookstore. What suggestion would you make in this situation?Your answer: 


Situation BA lecturer whom you are not very close with is a heavy smoker. You always think that he should stop smoking. While you are talking with him, he smokes again. What suggestion would you make in this situation?Your answer:Constellation 2: [+P/-D/+R]Situation 

A You meet a lecturer whom you are very close with in a bookstore. He/she is going to buy an expensive book about Research Methods. Nevertheless, you have seen the cheap one in another bookstore. What suggestion would you make in this situation?Your answer:Situation 

BA lecturer whom you are very close with is a heavy smoker. You always think that he should stop smoking. While you are talking with him, he smokes again. What suggestion would you make in this situation?Your answer:Constellation 3: [=P/+D/+R]Situation A

 You meet a friend whom you are not very close with in a parking lot. He/she likes to speed up his/her motorcycle in the street. You often think that he/she should stop doing it. What suggestion would you makein this situation?Your answer:Situation B

 You meet a friend whom you are not very close with in campus. He/she likes to go shopping and buy expensive things. You really know that he/she doesn‟t need them.What suggestion would you make in this situation?
your answer
Constellation 4: [=P/-D/+R

 Situation A You meet a friend whom you are very close with in a parking lot. He/she likes to speed up his/her motorcycle in the street. You often think that he/she should stop doing it. What suggestion would you make in this situation?Your answer:Situation 

B.You meet a friend whom you are very close with in campus. He/she likes to go shopping and buy expensive things. You really know that he/she doesn‟t need them. What suggestion would you make in this situation?Your answer:Constellation 5: [=P/+D/-R]Situation A 

You are in a live class discussion with your classmates. Your friend who is notvery close with you isn‟t really participating in the discussion. He/she is very smart but quite and a little shy, so he/she is probably worried of speaking out wrong opinions. You always felt that he/she should be more active and show his/her ability. What suggestion would you make in this situation?Your answer: 

Situation B You go to a restaurant to have lunch there. You are very disappointed when you taste it because it tastes terrible. A friend who is not very close with you comes to have lunch as well. What suggestion would you make in this situation?Your answer:


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Example 1: unstructured, content poor (complaint)It is not the first time that rock music is heard from your neighbor’s apartment quite late at night. You pick up the phone and say:.......................................................................................................(Olshtain and Weinbach, 1993: 121)


 xxxx Example 2: unstructured, content enhanced (request)It is 10.30 pm. on a Wednesday night and you have a paper due the next day. You are trying to finish the paper and you can’t concentrate because you hear loud music coming from another student’s room down the hall. You decide to ask her to turn the music down. The music has been on at this volume for half an hour. You have occasionally seen the student, Lucy, Row, in the same dorm during the past six months. She is a student like you, but you have never spoken to her. You have heard other people in the dorm complain about the volume of her music on several occasions although you never have because you study in the library. However, today the library closed early. You are only halfway through and you know that the professor for this class is very strict and does not give extensions. What would you say?(Billmyer andVarghese, 2000: 523) 

Example 3: structured, positive rejoinder, content poor (request)A professor wants a student to present a paper in class a week earlier than scheduled. What would the professor say?..................................................................................................................................Student: sure. I should be finished with it by then.(Rose, 1992: 61) 

Example 4: structured, negative rejoinder, content poor (request)Next weekend you’re giving a party, and one of your friends is a great cook. You would like him to do the food for the party.You:................................................................................................................
 Your friend: I’m sorry, but I’m going away next weekend.(Johnston et al., 1998: 175)

 Example 5: structured, prompt, content poor (apology)You promised to return a textbook to your classmate within a day or two, after photocopying a chapter. You kept it for almost two weeks.Classmate: I’m really upset about the book because I needed it to prepare for last week’s class.You..................................................................................................................(Cohen, 1996: 390)
 Example 6: structured, prompt, multiple rejoinder,content poor (apology)You arranged to meet a friend in order to study together for an exam. You arrive half an hour late for the meeting.Friend (annoyed): I’ve been waiting at least half an hour for you!You.................................................................................................................
..Friend: well, I was standing here waiting. I could have been doing something else.You...............................................................................................................
...Friend: still, it’s pretty annoying. Try to come on time next time. (Cohen 1996: 390)


-----------------------------------------------------------------------


Situation: A customer is ordering a sandwich from an employee at a fast food restaurant Employee: “What would you like on your sandwich?” A) Customer: “Yeah, I’ll have some lettuce, tomatoes, onions and mayonnaise, but no peppers.” B) Customer: “I’d like some lettuce and I’d like some tomatoes. Additionally, please give me some onions and mayonnaise. Don’t give me peppers.” C) Customer: “Thank you so much for asking. I’ll have some lettuce and tomatoes, if that’s not too much trouble.” 


-------------------------------------------------

Situation: The waiter in an expensive restaurant brings fried chicken instead of pork to a surprised customer. Complaint/apology Social error Grammar error Waiter Customer Your chicken, sir. Bon appétit! Oh, pardon me; but I believe that I ordered the pork. Waiter Customer Here’s a chicken for you. Oh, but I said that I wanted some pork. Determiner/article aused for cooked (non-count) chicken; quantifier some for pork (omit or use definite the)Waiter Customer I’m sorry that I gave you the wrong food. I will exchange it for you. Ok, but be careful next time and don’t make such a stupid mistake again. Rude arrogance on part of customer in correcting waiter

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Question #1 A: Hello! Are you Emiko? B: Oh, yes I am. A: Welcome to Canada! I’ll be your host mother, my name is Beth. B: ________________________________ F Hi! I’m so glad to be in Japan. I Hi Beth. I’ve missed you very much. O Is this your first visit to Canada? * Ok. I’m very hungry. Question #2 A: How about going to the Chinese restaurant for dinner? B: Let’s try a different place tonight. A: Why? I thought it was your favorite place? F Yes, but I really want to each Chinese food. I Yes, but I don’t like Chinese food O That sounds good. Let’s try it. * Yes, but they’ve raised their prices. Question #3 A: Jason, can you deliver this message to Professor Brown for me? B: Sure Professor West, I'll do it right now. A: ________________________________ F I see. I can do it myself then. F Great. Thanks for the message. O You’re welcome. I’m happy to help. * Thanks. I appreciate your help. Question #5 A: Excuse me. Do you happen to know where the library is? B: Sorry, I’m not from around here. A: _______________________________ F Oh, you’re from here? I I see. Well, could you show me the way then? O No problem. Sorry I couldn’t help you. * Ok, thanks anyway. Question #7 A: Doctor, I’ve had a sore back since I woke up this morning. B: OK. Tell me if that hurts. A: Ouch! That’s quite painful. B: How about here? A: ________________________________
SETOGUCHI – MULTIPLE-CHOICE DISCOURSE COMPLETION TASKS IN JAPANESE ENGLISH LANGUAGE ASSESSMENT 96F That was worse yesterday. F It's been sore for a week. O Ok, let me give you some medicine. * Ouch! That hurts as well. Question #8 A: Hello Mark. How are you? B: Hi Professor Tom. I had 6 classes and baseball practice today, so I'm pretty tired. A: ________________________________ F I see. Is soccer practice hard? I I’m sorry. Better luck next time. O I’ll be fine, thanks for asking. * I see. Goodbye. Question #9 A: Hello, are you Professor Hill? I’ll be in your literature class this semester. B: Oh, I see. I’m looking forwards to seeing you in class then. A: ________________________________ F Thanks. But, I’m not so good at math. I Me too. I'm glad to be your student again. O Oh. Are you a new student? * Thank you. I’ll do my best. Question #10 A: I wonder if you could help me. B: Yes? A: Where’s the best place to get something to eat around here? B: ________________________________ F Oh, the bank is near the train station. F Well, my favorite food is pasta. O That sounds like a great place to eat. Thanks. * I don’t know. Question #11 A: Brian, did you hand in your essay paper to me yet? B: I’m sorry Professor James. I'm still working on it. Could I give it to you tomorrow? A: ________________________________ F No, I’m sorry. I need it by next week. I Oh, was the assignment too easy? O Thanks. I won’t forget. * No, give it to me today. Question #13 A: Excuse me Professor Brown. I wanted to ask you about our homework assignment. B: Sure Beth. Can you come to my office tomorrow? A: ________________________________ F Yes, but I’m not sure where the library is. F Sorry. I'm a little busy the day after tomorrow. O 3 o’clock is fine Beth. See you then. * No. Let’s meet the day after tommorow. SETOGUCHI – MULTIPLE-CHOICE DISCOURSE COMPLETION TASKS IN JAPANESE ENGLISH LANGUAGE ASSESSMENT 97Question #14 A: Pardon me. Do you know what time it is? B: I'm sorry, I don't know. A: ________________________________ F Well, what about last night? F Never mind. I can tell someone else. O Sure, it's 11:30 right now. * That’s Ok. Thanks anyway. Question #15 A: Excuse me. Can I help you? B: Yes, I’d like to buy a sweater, but I only have $40 to spend. A: Well, this sweater is within your budget. B: ________________________________ F Oh, but this sweater is too expensive for me. F Well, I don’t like that shirt color though. O Would you like to try it on? * Oh, can I try it on? Question #16 A: Excuse me. I’d like to buy this jacket. How much is it? B: That jacket? The price is $250. A: Oh my! That’s more expensive than I thought. B: ________________________________ F Yes, that’s because it’s on sale. I I'm glad you like the quality. O Do you have one a little cheaper? * Would you like to see a cheaper one? Question #17 A: Mr. Stevens, I finished making copies like you asked. B: Great job. Next, I need you to deliver a message to the office downstairs. A: ________________________________ F Thanks. I could use a rest. F Yes, here is the message from downstairs. O Great job. Thanks for all the help. * I'm taking a short rest first. Question #18 A: Hello, I'd like to check in. I'm flying to Osaka. B: OK. Are you interested in paying an extra 200 dollars for a first class seat? A: ________________________________ F No, first class is fine. Thank you. I OK. I can't miss this flight so I have no choice.O Here’s your ticket. Thank you. * No I’m not. Question #19 A: Hi. I’d like to buy the textbook for English 1A.B: OK, here it is. The price is 100 dollars. SETOGUCHI – MULTIPLE-CHOICE DISCOURSE COMPLETION TASKS IN JAPANESE ENGLISH LANGUAGE ASSESSMENT 98A: ________________________________ F I’m sorry. I only have $150. F Oh! Why is the notebook so expensive? O Yes, you can pay with credit card. * Give me a student discount. Question #20 A: Excuse me. May I borrow that dictionary for a moment? B: Oh, I’m sorry. It’s not mine. A: ________________________________ F Oh, it’s yours? I Thanks. I’ll return it soon. O Oh, it belongs to my professor. * I see. Sorry to bother you. Question #21 A: Sorry to keep you waiting Professor James. I’m ready for the meeting now. B: We were worried about you. What happened? A: ________________________________ F Did something happen to Professor James? I I’m sorry. Am I too early? O Oh my! Are you OK now? * Nothing. Let’s start the meeting. Question #22 A: Ann, what's wrong? You look pale. B: Oh, Professor Brown. I have a cold today. Is it OK if I go home early? A: ________________________________ F Yes, I should go home right now. I OK, but try harder next time. O OK, I will. Thank you. * Sure, take care of yourself. Question #24 A: Hi, can I take your order? B: Yes. First I'd like a cup of tea. A: ________________________________ F OK. Anything to drink? F Anything else besides coffee? O May I have cream for my tea? * Ok. Would you like anything else? Question #26 A: David, can you help me move the desks after class? B: I'd be happy to Professor Thomas, but I’m afraid I have a dentist appointment. A: ________________________________ F Ok, I hope you feel better soon. I Thanks so much. Let’s finish moving before then. O Sorry, I’ll help you next time. * That’s Ok. I’ll ask someone else. SETOGUCHI – MULTIPLE-CHOICE DISCOURSE COMPLETION TASKS IN JAPANESE ENGLISH LANGUAGE ASSESSMENT 99Question #27 A: I didn’t see you at the meeting last night. B: Meeting? Oh, I totally forgot about it. A: _______________________________ F Who cancelled the meeting? I Oh, you never know about it? O I’m sorry. I won't forget next time. * You forgot! What’s wrong with you? Question #28 A: Well Bob, how much is it going to cost to fix this old car of mine? B: Hmm, since the engine needs major repairs, it’ll be at least 3000 dollars. A: _______________________________ F Ok, I think I’ll buy the car. I Great! That sounds very affordable. O Ok, you can pay me next week. * That’s too expensive. Goodbye. Question #29 A: Hi, my name is Miki. Are you interested in joining our tennis club? B: Well, I'm not very good at tennis. A: ________________________________ F Great! We need more good tennis players. I I see. Too bad you don't like tennis. O Really? Can I join the club then? * We don't need you then. Question #30 A: Excuse me. Can I try this sweater on? B: Yes, of course. A: Oh no. This one is quite large. Do you have one in medium? B: ________________________________ F Sorry, we don’t have a larger size. F Would you like to see another color? O Could I see another sweater? * Uh, no. Question #31 A: Enjoy your winter vacation Amy. B: Thanks Professor Hudson. Actually, I’m going to go skiing at White mountain with some friends. A: Really? Do you think there will be enough snow? B: _______________________________ F Yes, it’s never crowded. F Yes, my friends are all good skiers. O Sounds fun. Have a good time. * Yes, they got a lot a few days ago. Question #32 A: Pardon me, how many stops is it until Higashi Station? B: Oh, four stops I think. But I’m not so sure. SETOGUCHI – MULTIPLE-CHOICE DISCOURSE COMPLETION TASKS IN JAPANESE ENGLISH LANGUAGE ASSESSMENT 100A: ________________________________ F Five stops? Ok, thank you. I Are you sure? I'm positive it’s three stops. O Sorry I can’t help much. * Ok, thanks anyway. Question #33 A: Oh, hello Professor Lynn. Did you get a haircut?B: Does my hair look different? A: Yes, it looks great. B: ________________________________ F I don't like it very much either. F Thank you. I bought it last week. O Really? Was it expensive? * I know. My hair is prettier than all the other teachers. Question #35 A: Hi Mrs. Brown. My flight arrives in Hawaii tomorrow afternoon. B: OK Takeshi. We’ll pick you up at the airport. Have a safe flight. A: _______________________________ F Thanks! See you next week. F Thanks! I had a really nice time in Hawaii. O Can you tell me your flight number? * Thank you. See you at the airport. Question #36 A: Hello Professor Paul. Today’s class was very interesting. B: Hi Ann. I’m glad you liked it. You're one of my best students. A: ________________________________ F I’m sorry. I’ll try harder next class. F Thanks. I promise to stay awake next time. O It’s true. You really are a hardworking student. * Yes. All my professors tell me that. Question #37 A: I'd like two bus tickets please. B: I'm very sorry. Our bus is full today and we can’t sell more tickets. A: ________________________________ F OK. One ticket then please. F These are the last two tickets? Wow, so lucky. O Would you like to buy a ticket for tomorrow? * Give me a break! I need two tickets. Question #38 A: I really love this dress. Does it come in red? B: Oh, I’m sorry miss. It only comes in green. A: ________________________________ F Oh, I see. I'll just buy the red dress then. I Oh, green is my favorite color. O Would you like to try it on anyways? SETOGUCHI – MULTIPLE-CHOICE DISCOURSE COMPLETION TASKS IN JAPANESE ENGLISH LANGUAGE ASSESSMENT 101* Oh, I see. What a pity. Question #39 A: Here is your coffee. Can I get you anything else? B: No, that’s OK. The meal was very delicious. Thank you. A: ________________________________ F Would you like to order your meal now? F Oh, what was the problem? O I’ll be sure to come again soon. * I know it was. Here's the bill. Question #40 A: Excuse me. Where’s the nearest bank? B: It’s next to the library. Do you know where that is? A: ________________________________ F Yes, its 3:15. I Oh, you don't know? Thanks anyways. O Shall I show you the way? * No. Take me there. Question #41 A: Thank you Mark. Your class presentation was very interesting today. B: But Professor Adams, I was so nervous. I hope I didn't make too many mistakes. A: ________________________________ F Oh, I’m glad you weren’t nervous. F Oh, was the exam too hard? O Thanks. I’ll try harder next time. * Don’t worry. You did very well. Question #42 A: Good afternoon. Can I help you? B: I hope so. I’m looking for a nice present for my mother. A: How much did you want to spend? B: ________________________________ F The price is $50. F I’d like to buy at least two gifts. O I see. Is that all you can spend? * About $20 at most.




-----------------------------------------


 http://www.hawaii.edu/sls/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Setoguchi_Eric.pdf


 

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento